Note: I have been very ill over the past 24 hours. As a result, today’s post will be much shorter than usual.
The Consejo Nacional Electoral (CNE) announced today that candidates who wish to run in the upcoming municipal elections will be able to do so starting on Monday. The announcement from the CNE comes just one day after the Constituent Assembly approved a motion to hold the municipal elections in December.
During a press conference earlier today, CNE chief Tibisay Lucena said that the registration process would only last two days, and that anyone wishing to run in the election would need to submit a petition containing signatures from at least 5% of registered voters in their municipality.
In the same press conference, Lucena said that Zulia state voters would also elect a new governor on the same day of the municipal vote. This is because the opposition winner in the state, Juan Pablo Guanipa, was removed from his office yesterday for refusing to be sworn in by Maduro’s Constituent Assembly.
Borges: Opposition Should Not Participate in Municipal Elections
National Assembly president Julio Borges reacted to the announcement by the CNE today by suggesting that the opposition not take part in the municipal elections, given the fact that the CNE has been caught red-handed committing electoral fraud in the last two elections held in the country.
We cannot take part in a process that will be marked–as was the gubernatorial [election]–by bias, fraud, and by the destruction of the opinions of all Venezuelans.
Earlier this month, the Voluntad Popular (VP) opposition party announced that it would not participate in the municipal elections.
Questions/Comments? E-mail me: email@example.com