Home

Anti-regime protests continued in Caracas today, as demonstrators marched in the west of the city with empty pots and pans to symbolize the chronic food shortages that have been affecting the country for years, and to which the Maduro regime apparently has no answer.

Today’s march saw demonstrators rally in the Montalban neighbourhood of the city before attempting to march to the El Valle neighbourhood. As in virtually every other occasion since the anti-regime protests began on April 1, National Guard and National Bolivarian Police officers violently repressed the demonstrators with tear gas and rubber bullets.

The video below shows a National Guard mobile wall, colloquially known as a murcielago (“bat”, after the animal). Behind the murcielago, a ballena (“whale”) fires high-pressure water at demonstrators in an attempt to disperse them:

At one point, a group of National Assembly deputies went up to the murcielago in an attempt to reason with the soldiers manning the position. The deputies were pepper sprayed through the wall:

Demonstrators responded to the repression by setting up a field hospital to treat the wounded on the grounds of a local apartment complex. El Nacional reported that demonstrators were treated for injuries from rubber bullets and marbles, which the National Guard have been known to use as ammunition in the past.

The image below shows a demonstrator receiving surgical care at the field hospital:

In the video below, medics attempt to remove a foreign objects from inside a demonstrator’s leg. It is likely that the foreign objects are rubber pellets or their fragments:

AG Diaz: Regime Refusing to Turn Over Suspects in 19 Homicide Cases

Attorney General Luisa Ortega Diaz announced yesterday that the National Guard is refusing to turn a soldier suspected of killing Juan Pernalete over to her office for prosecution. Pernalete was killed while protesting in Caracas on April 26 after a soldier fired a tear gas canister at his chest from close range.

Diaz said that the Public Ministry has given the National Guard information relevant to the event that would make identifying the suspect possible, but that her office has yet to receive a reply on the matter.

Pernalete’s allegedly killer is not the only authority that the regime is refusing to turn over to the Public Ministry. During a televised interview yesterday, Diaz also said that 19 out of the 35 arrest warrants pending related to the protests involved official state authorities suspected of killing protesters.

During the same interview, Diaz chastised regime officials for going on television to speak about ongoing investigations, and for starting their own personal theories about how protesters were killed–as in the case of Pernalete–as facts.

While Diaz did not mention anyone by name, PSUV vice president Diosdado Cabello is notorious for taking to the airwaves to promote his own personal theories on protester deaths. He infamously did this with the case of Pernalete, when he claimed on his weekly television show that the young man had been killed by a captive bolt pistol.

Cabello’s assertion was later soundly refuted by the Public Ministry.


Questions/Comments? E-mail me: invenezuelablog@gmail.com

Keep in touch on Facebook! In Venezuela Blog

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s