Home

A fishing boat carrying Venezuelan migrants sank on its way to Trinidad & Tobago earlier this week, raising fears that has many as 28 of its passengers may have drowned.

National Assembly deputy Carlos Valera shared a picture on his Twitter account which he claims shows the names of the 29 passengers who were on board the ship when it sank. According to Valera, only one person out of the 29 has been rescued.

The list is titled “Proteccion Civil” (Civil Protection), which suggests that it comes from some kind of official body.

According to the list, there were two infants on the boat–a three-year-old and a two-year-old-. The oldest passenger was 48 years old.

Below, the list that Valera shared on his Twitter account:

According to Tal Cual, the Ana Maria set off for Trinidad at approximately 4:00 PM on Thursday, May 16, from Sucre state.

Leonardo Zorilla, a man whose brother was on the Ana Maria, told Tal Cual that some of the relatives of the people who were on the boat went to a Coast Guard outpost on May 15 to alert the authorities that they believed that the boat had sunk. Zorrilla said that the Coast Guard officials told the worried relatives that they would initiate a search, but that “they didn’t send out [any boats]”.

This is the second time in a month that a ship carrying Venezuelan migrants to Trinidad & Tobago has sunk. On April 23, a shipwreck killed at least 21 migrants hoping to reach the island.

Zorrilla also told Tal Cual that he lost two cousins on the April 23 shipwreck, and that he was afraid that just as then, the Maduro government would simply ignore this event. Zorrilla said:

We don’t want the same thing to happen. Last time, I lost two cousins, and now [I’ve lost] my brother. They were all leaving due to the crisis in the country, because you can’t live here anymore.

Maduro Plays Softball With PSUV, Army High Command

Maduro and other high-ranking members of the ruling Partido Socialista Unido de Venezuela (PSUV) enjoyed a friendly game of softball this afternoon versus the army high command.

The PSUV beat the army high command 17-4.

Below, some images from the game:

Below, highlights of the game:

Maduro played first base,


Questions/Comments? E-mail me: invenezuelablog@gmail.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.