I will not have reliable internet service until June 25. The daily updates will not be as thorough until then. I apologize.
Tens of thousands of Venezuelans flocked to 128 signature-verification stations around the country in order to once again assert their desire to hold a recall referendum against Maduro.
In Zulia state, citizens lined up starting at 4:30 AM. By the early morning, there were long lines of eager Venezuelans in virtually all of the verification stations, particularly in Miranda, Sucre, Aragua, and Caracas.
The recall referendum process is made up a number of steps. This verification process marks the end of the first step of the process, when Venezuelans have to personally verify that they signed a petition earlier this year in favour of holding a referendum against Maduro that could see him removed from office.
Below, images of Venezuelans lined up at verification stations around the country:
Somewhere in Lara state:
Los Teques, Miranda state:
Maturin, Monagas state:
The picture below is probably from somewhere in Zulia state:
The verification process will last until this Friday. Approximately 197,000 Venezuelans must verify their signatures for the next step of the recall referendum process to take place.
After verifying her signature at the CNE station in Los Teques, Yusmari Espidel said:
The [verification machines] are wireless and the reception isn’t very good right now. Still, it was very quick: I got here an hour ago and I’ve already verified.
Torrealba: “Great Turnout” For Validation
The head of the Mesa de la Unidad Democratica (MUD), Jesus Torrealba, was optimistic this morning by the number of Venezuelans turning out at the country’s verification stations. Torrealba said that by 10:50 AM, 1,060 signatures had been verified at the Plaza Venezuela station in Caracas alone.
We are witnessing an epic turnout of citizens and of [civil values]. It is clear that Venezuela wants a peaceful change for the better.
Allup: Opp. “Not Stupid”, Won’t Dialogue with Maduro
National Assembly President Henry Ramos Allup said today that the opposition as not interested in conducting any kind of dialogue with the Maduro government, because it has no indication whatsoever that Maduro wants to sincerely engage in positive dialogue.
Allup was specially referring to renewed calls by Maduro to have a sit-down meeting between the two sides this Thursday. However, Allup pointed out that the process would be meaningless, because the Tribunal Supremo de Justicia (TSJ), the nation’s top court, ruled that the opposition cannot assign its own negotiators for the talks: instead, the government must assign their team.